Ave Valley
Map of the Municipality
Map of the Village
Edified Heritage
- Argontim Mills
- Fluvial Beaches
- Manor Houses
- The Gardens and the Feast of Camellias
- The Village
- Viso Mountain
Home The Region Municipalities Leisure Tradition Eating out? Sleeping out?

Arnóia Castle


The history of Celorico de Basto is closely related to the Arnóia Castle. It was by this fortification, founded before the institution of our nation, and with a charter dating March 29th, 1520 that the municipality’s first chief town, “Villa de Basto”, was set up. On location it is still possible to see the traces of the Jail, the Pharmacy and Court Hearing Room. In 1719, D. João V determined that the main town be moved to the place of Freixieiro, where Celorico de Basto is officially located today. Overlooking the ancient village, this monument lies on top of a hill. From above, looking around, the scenery is far-reaching, diversified and refreshing. A romanesque structure of small dimensions, it is part of the region’s defensive set and is made up of an irregular wall, adjustable to the conditions of the ground, and supported by a turret on its northern side. On the south part, by the wall’s only entrance, stands a watch tower, whose door faces the threshing-floor. The Arnóia Castle is also worth a visit, not only for its patrimonial value, but also because of its beautiful location.


the news
in your e-mail
Minho Valley Lima Valley Cávado Valley Ave Valley
Contacts | Site Map
Copyright © 2008 A Nossa Terra. All rights reserved Developed by:Direnor