Ave Valley
Map of the Municipality
Map of the City
Home The Region Municipalities Leisure Tradition Eating out? Sleeping out?

Edified Heritage


S. Bento das Peras Sanctuary: a place where two chapels dedicated to this saint can be found; the oldest dates back to the 16th century and the most recent one was open to the public in 1970. Situated in S. Miguel. S. Miguel Old Parish Church: classified as Property of Municipal Interest, the current construction is from the 17th century. It is the successor to the previous 1st century temple, since the parish is one of the oldest of the archbishopric of Braga. S. João Church: neo-gothic construction from the beginning of the 20th century; inside, the paintings on the ceiling and the golden carvings stand out, as well as the high altar and the respective throne, endowed with great beauty. Gominhães Palace: IIP, in S. João. Its foundation dates back to the year1280 and has undergone many renovations over the years. Roman Vizela: allusive statue to the roman origin of Vizela’s Thermal Springs. Roman Bridge: MN, in S. João in one of the places that was once considered one of the most beautiful in Vizela, this bridge was part of the Roman military route between Braga and Mérida. Still in S. João, there is the D. Luís Bridge: commonly known as New Bridge, built in 1871, arose from the need to make a link between Guimarães and Penafiel.


Santo Adrião Romanic Church: temple prior to the 11th century, in the parish of Santo Adrião. Close to the church is a stone cross. Confraria do Senhor das Cinco Chagas Church: built in 1850, in the parish of Infias. Tagilde Parish Church: built in the 18th century, on the site where a medieval temple once existed. With a baroque façade, a frontal finish and a neoclassical style tower, we can admire the interiors of baroque decoration, which is mainly associated with the carving of the altars and the main altar. Evocative Monument of the Portugal-England Alliance or of the Treaty of Tagilde: stone pillar that evokes the Tagilde Treaty (celebrated between King D. Fernando and the Duke of Lancaster in 1372), in the parish with the same name. Symbolizes the world’s oldest and still existing military alliance. Santa Eulália Church, in the parish with the same name. Mannerist style, it was built in 1724. Inside, the highlight goes to the tile panel and the traces of baroque art in the high altar. Also in Santa Eulália, the Sá House: a probable 16th or 17th century construction. Although it possesses an 18th century façade, it is definitely baroque. A chapel dedicated to Senhora das Dores also exists in this house. S. Paio Church: from the small church of romanesque roots remains its front part inserted in the present church, opened in 1999. Nossa Sra. da Tocha Chapel: 18th century construction, on the Santo Adrião Mountain, where an important pre-roman settlement exists. In front of the chapel stands the Nossa Senhora da Tocha Stone Cross: made entirely of granite, being an example of romanesque art. S. Gonçalo Chapel: built in 1657; is dedicated to S. Gonçalo, who was originally from the parish of Tagilde, where this temple is located.


the news
in your e-mail
Minho Valley Lima Valley Cávado Valley Ave Valley
Contacts | Site Map
Copyright © 2008 A Nossa Terra. All rights reserved Developed by:Direnor