Cávado Valley
Opening
Map of the Municipality
Map of the Village
Museums
Contacts
Home The Region Municipalities Leisure Tradition Eating out? Sleeping out?

Edified Heritage

 

Velha Church: IIP, also known as S. Paio Church, was built in the 17th century, on a romanesque temple. Highlight for the frescoes and the baroque carving of the lateral altars. Sto. António Chapel: baroque building, from the 17th/18th centuries, in Vila Verde. Citânia de São Julião: inhabited since the end of the Bronze Age, in Ponte S. Vicente. Barbudo Hill Fort: fortified settlement of the Iron Age, in Barbudo. The Penegate Tower (from the 14th century in Carreiras S. Miguel) and the Oriz or Coimbra Tower (from the 14th century in Oriz Santa Marinha). Both classified as Monument of Public Interest. Moure Pillory: IIP, built between 1588 and 1609. Pedrinha Bridge (or the Goães bridge, built in the Middle Ages and rebuilt in the 17th century in Goães) and of Rodas Bridge (medieval, between Coucieiro and Caldelas). House of Carcavelos: IIP in Coucieiro, from the 18th century. In the village of Prado, the Bridge of the same name stands out (the current architectural aspect dates back to the 17th century, the date of its reconstruction. The original construction is expected to be from the Middle Ages, but there is evidence that it already existed in Roman times); Pillory (IIP, 16th century), Botica House (IIP, from 18th century) and the Santiago de Francelos Chapel (probably from the 17th century). In Soutelo, the Larim Pillory (IIP, probably built in the 16th century) stands out, the Torre House (18th century baroque building), the Nossa Senhora do Alívio Sanctuary (its construction began in the late 18th century and continued until the 20th century) and the Parish Church and sculptural ensemble (baroque style, from the 18th century, built to replace a previous temple). In Cervães, we can highlight the Bom Despacho Sanctuary (from the mid-17th century, made up of the church, the sacristy, the annex building, the Passos chapels and the rectangular space where there is a via sacra – stations of the cross – and olive trees), the Stone Cross (IIP, with a manueline cross, probably from the 16th century) and the Tower and House of Gomariz (a rectangular building, from the 16th century). Coucieiro Romanesque Church: from the 16th century, the interior was altered in the 19th century. Pedregais Parish Church: of romanesque trait and of unknown edification date. Aboim da Nóbrega Parish Church: mannerist temple of the 16th century, refurbished over the centuries. The rich coffered ceiling, from the 16th century, stands out. Oriz Sta. Marinha Church: probable construction of the 18th century, the national baroque style of johannine influence is notorious. Pico de Regalados Church: rebuilt in 1756, is a good example of the baroque style. Highlighted for the altarpiece, the carving of the lateral altars and the pipe organ of the 18th century. Divino Salvador Church (built before the foundation of the Kingdom of Portugal, of these times only the main chapel remains) and Santo António de Mixões da Serra Church (inaugurated in 1952. The current construction replaced the first chapel, dated from the 17th century): both in Valdreu. Fountain and Legend of Dente Santo (“Holy Tooth”): associated with the legends of a miracle tooth, in Aboim da Nóbrega. Fojo do Lobo (“Wolf Trap”): in Gondomar, it is one of the largest in the Iberian Peninsula, with a wall extension of about two kilometers.

 

Receive
the news
in your e-mail
Name:
E-Mail:
Minho Valley Lima Valley Cávado Valley Ave Valley
Contacts | Site Map
Copyright © 2008 A Nossa Terra. All rights reserved Developed by:Direnor