Minho Valley
Map of the Municipality
Map of the Village
Home The Region Municipalities Leisure Tradition Eating out? Sleeping out?

Edified Heritage


Vila Nova de Cerveira Castle: MN, arose around 1320. In its interior it stands out to the Misericórdia Church, the old city hall and the Pillory. Atalaia Little Fort: IIP, is the smallest of the fortifications that constituted the defensive set of Vila Nova de Cerveira. Terreiro: the town’s main square and where the fair used to be held and centre of the economic activity. César Maldonado Street and Queiroz Ribeiro Street: streets whose design dates back to the 16th century and where the traditional trading district is currently located. Parish Church: dates from the 13th century and is dedicated to S. Cipriano, patron saint of Vila Nova de Cerveira. Misericórdia Church: its existence dates back to the creation of the ‘Santa Casa da Misericórdia’ which, from the veneration of Lord Ecce-Homo, had an altar built at the beginning of the century. XVII. N. Sra. da Ajuda Chapel: over the city gates was built, around 1650, a small temple, to match the architecture of the time, with the paneled ceiling presenting allegorical paintings to the patron saint. S. Roque Chapel: rebuilt in 1564 temple dedicated to S. Roque, one of the saints that offered protection against the plague. Castros Manor House: IIP, from the 17th century, currently houses the Municipal Library. Casa Verde: imposing palatial construction, from the late nineteenth-century Brazilian style, the exterior façade is covered with greenish-tiled tiles. Vila Nova de Cerveira Pillory: MN, a 1574 construction, symbol of the municipality’s jurisdiction. Village Fountain: place for water supply before the construction of the water channelled system. Old Hospital: the main body of the building dates back to the early 18th century. It is a palatial building, of neoclassical design.


Couço do Monte Furado Mining Complex: IIP, in the parish of Covas, this mine was explored during the roman period. Lovelhe Hill: the signs of this region’s first inhabitants date back to the Iron Age. An area of extreme strategic importance during the French Invasions. The Lovelhe Fort: product of military engineering of the time, was constructed between 1660 and 1662 under the direction of the Field Master General Francisco de Azevedo. S. Paio Convent:  located in Loivo and founded in 1392 by Frei Gonçalo Marinho is the headquarters of the Convento de S. Paio Foundation and art gallery of the works and collections of Mestre José Rodrigues. Reboreda Romanesque Church: a temple that was reconstructed in the 16th century, it shows romanesque marks in some parts of the building. Gondarém Parish Church: it was built in the 16th century, manueline style, displaying three naves, and a pointed arch chancel with traverse-vaulted dome. Nogueira Pillory (MN) and S. Sebastião Chapel (the construction of this chapel dates from the late seventeenth and early eighteenth century, by the military garrison that was housed inside the castle): both in Nogueira. Santa Luzia Chapel: IIP, in Campos, this chapel was built on top of a roman temple, and the actual building has features from various time periods. Carboal House: 17th century manor house, a fine example of the ‘Chão’ architecture in the parish of Covas. Loureira Manor House: 18th century baroque manor house, in the parish of Gondarém. Pietá (18th century granite sculpture) and the Clock Tower (built by Manuel José Lebrão): both in Sopo.


the news
in your e-mail
Minho Valley Lima Valley Cávado Valley Ave Valley
Contacts | Site Map
Copyright © 2008 A Nossa Terra. All rights reserved Developed by:Direnor