Cávado Valley
Map of the Municipality
Map of the City
Municipality Edified Heritage
Home The Region Municipalities Leisure Tradition Eating out? Sleeping out?
City Edified Heritage
Medieval Porta Nova Tower: MN, was part of the 15th century walls. Since the 17th century until 1932 it served as a prison. Today it houses the Interpretation Center of the Rooster and the City of Barcelos. Counts of Barcelos Palace (ruins): MN, commissioned to be built in the first half of the 15th century by D. Afonso, 8th Count of Barcelos, 1st Duke of Bragança. The Archaeological Museum is located here. Santa Maria Maior Church, Barcelos Parish Church: MN, a temple that shows the romanesque-gothic transition and that was profoundly altered during the 15th and 18th centuries. Bom Jesus da Cruz Church: IIP, dates from 1710 and is one of Barcelos’ most important baroque examples. Inside, the baroque carved altars and tiles stand out. Nossa Senhora do Terço Church: IIP, 18th century construction that was once part of the benedictine convent founded by the archbishop of Braga. Later, it belonged to the Terço Fraternity. Inside, the tiles are highlighted by the precious gilded woodcarving. Misericórdia Church: its current construction is from the 19th century. Pinheiros Manor House: MN, a 1448 building whose construction is attributed to the founder of the Casa de Bragança, Pedro Esteves. Benfeito Manor House: an example of 18th century civil baroque. Beça Meneses House: built in the mid 18th century, it possesses Barcelos’ most decorated façade. Old City Hall: the building currently houses the old Espírito Santo Hospital, the Santa Maria chapel and old City Hall. Barcelos Pillory: IIP, one of the most emblematic in the country, due to its artistic refinement. Medieval Bridge over the Cávado River: MN, it’s a gothic construction from early 14th century linking Barcelos to Barcelinhos. Campo da Feira Fountain: a João Lopes work from the 17th century. Gil Vicente Theater: it is one of the most emblematic buildings of the city; Opened to the public in 1902, after several years closed, reopened in 2013.
the news
in your e-mail
Minho Valley Lima Valley Cávado Valley Ave Valley
Contacts | Site Map
Copyright © 2008 A Nossa Terra. All rights reserved Developed by:Direnor